A Brief History of Dullingham
|The Church of St Mary the Virgin|
|photo-diary of the re-roofing a 17th Century, Grade 2 listed cottage, Cables Farm, in Station Road|
|Joe Moore's Photographic Archive of Dullingham|
|The Old Bakery|
|Church Lane Maltings|
|you are in "The Workhouse"|
|The Wesleyan Chapel, Dullingham|
|Dullingham Village School|
|The King's Head|
|Dullingham Railway Station|
|Dullingham History Group|
|The Mission Hall, Dullingham Ley|
The Workhouse, Brinkley Road
What was once Dullingham's Workhouse is now a terrace of three cottages
(click on the picture above to enlarge)
The Workhouse then being built with £400 raised from the parish charities was finished in 1805, when a manager was sought. It had 19 inmates in 1813, but only 5 in 1815. In both years 30 people still received relief outside it. The total cost of relief was £609 in 1814, ranging thereafter from £450 up to £900 in bad years.
About 1830 the parish paid 15 men from the poor-rate to work on the roads, and gave allowances for large families. The Workhouse was sold and converted into three dwellings after the parish had been included in 1835 in the Newmarket Poor-law Union.
On 5th July 1996, a fire caused damage to the building. An explosion, believed to have been started by a battery on charge in a workshop nearby, destroyed the workshop. Flames from the fire spread to the roof of the old Workhouse causing severe damage to one of the dwellings. The estimated repairs to the building cost around £20,000.
back to top