A Brief History of Dullingham
|The Church of St Mary the Virgin|
|photo-diary of the re-roofing a 17th Century, Grade 2 listed cottage, Cables Farm, in Station Road|
|Joe Moore's Photographic Archive of Dullingham|
|The Old Bakery|
|Church Lane Maltings|
|you are in "The Guildhall"|
|The Wesleyan Chapel, Dullingham|
|Dullingham Village School|
|The King's Head|
|Dullingham Railway Station|
|Dullingham History Group|
|The Mission Hall, Dullingham Ley|
Dullingham's oldest building, the 15th century Guildhall
(click on the picture above to enlarge)
The 15th century Guildhall is Dullingham’s oldest dwelling. It was once the meeting place for members of the Guild of St James. It was partly a benefit society, governed by an alderman and steward.
The Guild of St James dates from about 1517 but was probably the successor to an earlier fraternity. Members paid subscriptions in money and produce and there are references in 16th century wills of members leaving livestock to the Guild. Members dined twice a week at the Guildhall with the poor members eating free.
The interior features some particularly striking moulded beams and great central chimney. One staircase is panelled with 17th century timber taken from another building. The Guildhall was substantially restored between 1976-83.
The Guildhall is now a private residence.
Photo 106 is an early view of The Guildhall when
it was known as Park Cottage.
A group of school children stand on the corner of the crossroads next to a handsome finger-post.
(Photo courtesy Joe Moore Archive)
back to top